Hello Robert,

Tony brought up the example of a partioned network.
But there are more examples.

E.g. in a network there is a router with a 1000 neighbors.
(When discussing distributed vs centralized flooding-topology
 reduction algorithms, I've been told these network designs exist).
When such a router reboots/crashes/comes back up, all 1000 neighbors
will create a new version of their own LSP. This causes a 1000 different
LSPs to be flooded through the network at the same time. Impacting every
router in the network.

The case I was thinking of myself, was when a router in a large network
boots. When it brings up a number of adjacencies, each neighbor will
try to synchronize its LSPDB with the newly booted router. As the newly
booted router will send emtpy CSNPs to each of its neighbors, each
neighbor will start sending the full LSPDB. If such a network has 10k
LSPs, and such a router has 100 neighbors, that router will receive 100 * 10k is 1 million LSPs. Having a faster and more efficient flooding transport,
with flow-control, will make a reboot in such a topology less painful.

(In that last case, creative use of the overload-bit could prevent black-holing or microloops while ISIS synchronizes its LSPDB after a reboot. Just like we used the overload-bit to solve the problem of slow convergence of BGP after a reboot, 22 years ago. I have no idea if there are any implementations that use the overload-bit to alleviate slow convergence of IS-IS after a reboot).

henk.