> On Apr 30, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Henk Smit <henk.i...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> I still think we'll end up re-implementing a new (and weaker) TCP.

Hi Henk,

Thanks for the thoughtful writeup. Let's not be too cynical at the start
though! :)

I'd note that our environment is a bit more controlled than the end-to-end
internet environment. In IS-IS we are dealing with single link (logical) so
very simple solutions (CTS/RTS, ethernet PAUSE) could be viable. That aside,
yes, there are queues and opportunity for loss between the receiving linecard
interface and the IS-IS process on the router, but that path is much more
accessible (controllable) to the control loop than all the routers and networks
between 2 endpoints for an internet TCP connection.

Also, while it's generally accepted that end-to-end internet based protocols
need to be TCP friendly (e.g., the datagram-based congestion control algorithms
(DCCP)), I'm not sure this requirement needs to be applied the same way for
IS-IS. Thus our choice of algorithms may well be less restricted.

Thanks,
Chris.
[as WG member]