From the view of me, when multipoint failure happens, node 3 is supposed to
enable the temporary flooding between 3 and 4, in order to connect with the
nodes inside the red box, while the other dashed line between node 1 and node
nobody is not supposed to do temporary flooding although node 1 is connected to
the failed link directly.
It seems a little unclear for me about how the node itself could decide whether
a dashed line should do temporary flooding or not in this case.

Best Regards
Xuesong

From: Tony Li [mailto:tony1ath...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of tony...@tony.li
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 1:18 AM
To: Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong) <gengxues...@huawei.com>
Cc: sarahc...@arista.com; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Questions about draft-ietf-lsr-dynamic-flooding-04

Hi Xuesong,

Thank you for your work about Flooding Reduction mechanism. I think it is very
useful for IGP scalability.

Thank you, we very much appreciate that.

When Sarah giving presentation for draft-chen-lsr-dynamic-flooding-algorithm-00
in LSR interim meeting, I raised a question about how to handle multipoint
failure in the flooding topology. I remembered that
draft-ietf-lsr-dynamic-flooding-04 was mentioned. I have read this draft,
especially section 6.8.11 and temporary flooding relevant content. I think it
is a valid method logically. (We have tried to raise some examples to challenge
this method, but in all these cases, this method works) Considering that
reliability of IGP is crucial for deployment, we are still wondering whether
some mathematical proof is necessary (or possible) to guarantee that, in all
the possible scenarios, proper convergence could be achieved when using
flooding reduction algorithm, just as traditional IGP mechanism. The proof may
be case by case depending on the flooding reduction algorithm, but we think
even some example or clue about how to do this will be very helpful.

A proof? Ok, I can try to be rigorous, but it’s been a very long time. I
apologize in advance to Kireeti, Mr. Myers, Mr. Douglas, and Prof. Greever for
what follows.

Definition: Let G=(V, E) be a finite graph. F=(V, E’) is a ‘flooding topology’
on G if E’ is a subset of E and F is connected.

We normally have other properties for flooding topologies, such as being
bi-connected, relatively sparse, minimal diameter, and minimal degree, but
those properties are not relevant for this proof.

Definition: Let C=(V*, E*), V* a subset of V, E* a subset of E, be the ‘cut’ of
G. This represents the failures in the topology. Let G’ = G - C, the topology
after failure, and let F’ = F - C, be the flooding topology after failure.

Definition: Let R = E - E* - E’. This is the set of 'recovery edges': edges
that have not failed and are not part of the flooding topology.

Corollary: R is finite.

Proof: G is finite, by definition. Therefore E is finite, E* must be finite,
and E’ is finite.

Lemma 1: If G’ is connected, then F’ + R is connected.

Proof:

G’ = G - C = (V, E) - (V*, E*) = (V - V*, E - E*).

F’ + R = (F - C) + (E - E* - E’) = (V, E’) - (V*, E*) + (E - E* - E’) = ( V -
V*, E’ - E* ) + ( E - E* - E’) = ( V - V*, E’ - E* + E - E* - E’ ) = ( V - V*,
E - E* - E* ) = ( V - V*, E - E* ) = G’.

Q.E.D.

Lemma 2: If G’ is connected, then incrementally adding edges from R to F’ will
yield a connected flooding topology.

Proof: By induction. Let R’ be a subset of R. Induction property: Either F' +
R’ is connected, or R’ is a proper subset of R.

Base case: R’ is the empty set. If F’ is connected, then F’ + R’ is connected
and the property is satisfied. If F’ + R’ is not connected, R’ is empty, which
is a proper subset of R.

Induction case: Let r be a recovery edge in R - R’ (i.e., a new edge to add).
If F’ + R’ is connected, then the property is satisfied already. If F’ + R’ + r
is connected, the property is satisfied. If R’ + r = R, then by Lemma 1, the
property is satisfied. Otherwise, R’ + r != R, and the property is satisfied.
By our corollary, the induction must terminate.

Q.E.D.

Bugs, questions, and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Tony