thanks for the reply - see in line

> On May 28, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Peter Psenak
> <ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> please see inline (##PP):
>
> On 27/05/2020 17:17, Scott Bradner via Datatracker wrote:
>> Reviewer: Scott Bradner
>> Review result: Not Ready
>> This is an OPS-DIR review of OSPF Link Traffic Engineering Attribute Reuse
>> (draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse)
>> This ID describes application-specific attribute advertisements for use in
>> OSPF.
>> I found this ID hard to read and recommend that it be reviewed for
>> readability.
>> I have a basic question about this proposal – the ID describes specific
>> advertisements to be used when particular applications want to make use of
>> specific link attributes and says that other applications should not make of
>> the information in the advertisement without saying why such use would be a
>> problem.  I can imagine some reasons but it seems to me that it would be good
>> if this document just explained the problem it is trying to solve.
>
> ##PP
>
> There are two problems mentioned in the Introduction section:
>
> 1) Ambiguity in terms of which of the advertisements are to be used by
> RSVP-TE and which ones should not be. When RSVP was the only application
> using these attributes, advertisement of these attributes meant that RSVP was
> enabled on the link. Such link was considered as a part of the RSVP-TE
> topology. With other applications using and advertising these link
> attributes, this logic can not be used anymore, which created the mentioned
> ambiguity.
>
> 2) Lack of support for application specific values for the link attribute.
>
> I thought this was clear, but if it is not, please suggest what else needs to
> be said.

yes - I saw that but I missed seeing why these are a  problem - what harm can
come form specifically the first one?
I fully expect there are real problems but I think it would be useful to say
what they are

<snip>

>> Page 7 – a “User Defined Application Identifier” is introduced but never
>> described – what uses it and what is it used for
> ##PP
> we provide a way for the user to advertise link attributes for the purpose of
> something that is not defined as standardized application. What such
> application might be is not subject to the specification.

can that just be said?

>> Section 11 – I found this discussion of the relationship between the
>> existence
>> of a particular advertisement and the possible existence of an application to
>> use that advertisement to be quite confusing – if the existence of a
>> particular
>> advertisement does not indicate that any application is listening why not
>> just
>> say that?
>
> ##PP
> there are applications where the application enablement on the link is
> relevant - e.g. RSVP-TE - one need to make sure that RSVP is enabled on the
> link before sending a RSVP signaling message over it.
>
> There are applications, where the enablement of the application on the link
> is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the fact that some link attributes
> are advertised for the purpose of such application - e.g. LFA.
>
> We have provided full flexibility to support both.

I think it would help to say that in the ID

<snip>

>> Section 12.3.3 – I could not tell if this section is saying that the
>> application specific attribute advertisements could not be used if there is
>> even a single legacy router present of if the presence of such a router means
>> that the application specific attribute advertisements can be used but the
>> old
>> advertisements must also be used
>
> ##PP
> a) as long as there is a single legacy router present, all routers MUST
> continue to advertise link attributes using legacy advertisements to allow
> the legacy router to function properly.
>
> b) new advertisements can be used in parallel and they can be used by the
> routers that do understand them.
>
> The text in 12.3.3 says:
>
>   "Send application specific advertisements while continuing to
>    advertise using legacy (all advertisements are then duplicated)."

I found it confusing - can you say what you said here?

>> Section 14 – it might help to say how new Sub-TLV types can be added to the
>> registry
>
> ##PP
> we are not defining a nynew registry, we only use existing ones. These
> registries have their own registration procedures.

I did not see a clear statement that said that was what you are doing or a
clear pointer to where someone should go if they wanted to add a new value

Scott