Martin -

From: Martin Duke <martin.h.d...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 2:35 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: The IESG <i...@ietf.org>; lsr-cha...@ietf.org; aretana.i...@gmail.com; Acee
Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>; draft-ietf-isis-te-...@ietf.org; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Martin Duke's No Objection on draft-ietf-isis-te-app-14:
(with COMMENT)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 12:25 PM Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsb...@cisco.com<mailto:ginsb...@cisco.com>> wrote:

[Les:] The use of "any application" is only possible if the same link attribute
values can be used by all applications which are in use in that deployment.
This is a decision that can only be made based on the deployment.
The discussion of "enablement" is pointing out a possible side effect even if
the first set of conditions are met.

To my mind, the use of "any application" is likely NOT the default mode of
operation even when the preconditions are met - but this is an implementation
choice not subject to standardization.

I suspect we are talking past each other, probably due to my ignorance of this
area, and possibly beyond what a non-blocking comment is worth.

Anyway, I can live with not having normative language here, but I would like to
have a little more discussion of the considerations for this decision -- at
least what the consequences are if nodes don't know if the links support
RSVP-TE or not.

[Les:] When the application bit mask is populated (non-zero length), the set of
applications to which the associated link attributes apply is explicit.
When the application bit mask is NOT populated (zero-length), the set of
applications to which the associated link attributes apply is implicit.
Specifically, any application that is enabled on a node (by application
specific configuration which likely is NOT link specific) is allowed to use the
attributes. For an application (such as RSVP-TE) where “use” includes the
enablement of the application on that link there is a possibility that this is
not what was intended. Simply by configuring/advertising a link attribute can
then result in unintended use of that link by such an application.
Applications which do NOT depend on link attribute advertisements for
enablement do not face this issue. They will use the link (or not) based on
other criteria which remain application specific.

This is what we try to capture (more succinctly) in the sentence:

“In the presence of
   an application where the advertisement of link attribute
   advertisements is used to infer the enablement of an application on
   that link (e.g., RSVP-TE), the absence of the application identifier
   leaves ambiguous whether that application is enabled on such a link.”

I don’t know if this helps, but I am trying… 😊