Speaking as WG chair:

I'm delighted to see discussion on a draft that isn't in WG last call.

Speaking as WG member:

Maybe I'm missing something but do we really think we’re going to run out of
non-flexible algorithms with 128? I just don't see it happening in my lifetime.

On 6/30/20, 12:27 PM, "Lsr on behalf of Peter Psenak" <lsr-boun...@ietf.org on
behalf of ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

    Hi Bruno,

    On 30/06/2020 18:08, bruno.decra...@orange.com wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    >> From: Peter Psenak [mailto:ppse...@cisco.com]
    >>
    >> Hi Bruno,
    >>
    >> please see inline:
    >>
    >> On 30/06/2020 16:53, bruno.decra...@orange.com wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I can live with the current text, but I'm just raising the point for
discussion
    >> (better safe than sorry).
    >>>
    >>> "16.1.1.  IGP Algorithm Types Registry
    >>>
    >>>      This document makes the following registrations in the "IGP
Algorithm
    >> Types" registry:
    >>>
    >>>         Type: 128-255.

    >>> "
    >>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-07#section-16.1.1
    >>>
    >>> This is essentially burning half of the registry for flex-algo. Indeed,
any
    >> network operator could use any value, e.g. 222, hence the IETF could
never
    >> define a different usage for this value without creating interop issues
for the
    >> network operator.
    >>
    >> what is the real problem? Is the space 2-127 that is free not sufficient
    >> for other standardized algorithms that may come?
    >>

    >>> We could discuss whether we really need 127 values for this. (i.e. a
    >> network operator requiring 127 flex algo, typically multiplying its IGP
FIB
    >> entries by 127...).
    >>
    >> above is not necessarily true and more importantly completely irrelevant
    >> to the number of algos we reserve for FA.
    >>

    >>> We could also discuss whether this range could be change to the IANA
well-
    >> known "Private Use" [1]. This would allow for alternative private usages
in
    >> the future (e.g. Flexible Alorithms v2).
    >>> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8126#section-4.1
    >>>
    >>> It seems to me that the latter would equally work for flex algo, but
would
    >> provide more flexibility :-) for the future.
    >>
    >> I don't think so. We need an allocated range of algos for FA for
    >> compatibility.
    >
    > The allocated range of algos for FA would be the same. Just not dedicated
to FA.

    this would not work. If I have a mix of routers, one set using value 222
    for flex-algo and another set for something else, how are they going to
    interoperate?

    We need a standardized range, using Private Use is not an option here.

    thanks,
    Peter