Hi, Robert:

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 00:23, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Imagine I have two ABRs connecting area 1 to area 0. One is signalling
> transition to down for subset of summary and the other does not .. maybe it
> is slow ... maybe it does not support this new feature.
>
> So all routers in the area 0 are receiving a full summary from one ABR and a
> summary with hole from the other one. Should that be logical AND or OR ?

[WAJ] It should be OR. All routers in the area 0 should prefer to the ABR that
not advertising PUA to forward traffic.

> Then on the other side there is area 2. Should the transition to down be
> leaked ?

[WAJ] The PUA should be leaked.

> If so in a nicely stable network we may see instead of few /20 summaries jump
> to 1M transitions to down yet summary continues - would that not have a bit
> negative effect on the entire network ? Where would ABR remove summary itself
> - when all atomic routes subsumed by the summary transition to down ?

[WAJ]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-03#section-6
 has described the extreme conditions for advertising PUA+Summary, Detail
Reachable Prefixes only, or Summary Address with Max metric.
Is there any other graceful advertising in these conditions?

> - - -
>
> I am supportive of the idea to signal unreachable network elements. But I am
> not sure if we should do it in IGP and BGP or only in BGP.

[WAJ] Such information is for underlay link state and should be flooded via
IGP? The ambiguity arises from IGP summary behavior and should be solved by
itself?