The announcement prompted me to look again and think about an interaction between this and the network programming draft. To be clear, I am NOT objecting to either this or the network programming draft. I am just wondering what I am missing.

The NP draft, and the advertisement mechanism allows a router to advertise the number of bits for the ARG portion of a SID.

Q1: The point presumably is to avoid needing to advertise each of the individual values?

An example of this is, I think, and ARG for the table selection where the ARG is the table number for the packet to be looked up in?

Q2: If so, how does the head end know what table number corresponds to what meaning? If this requires a separate advertisement there seems to be no savings. if this requires out-of-band knowledge then we seem to have lost the benefit of advertising all of this in the routing protocol.

I suspect I am simply missing a piece.  can someone explain please?

Thank you,
Joel