From: Lsr [mailto:lsr-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Joel M. Halpern
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:05 PM
Cc: lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for
draft-bonica-lsr-ip-flexalgo-00.txt

I am missing something in this discussion of multiple algorithms.

My understanding of flex-algo whether for MPLS, SRv6, SRH, or IPv6, is that you
need to associated a forwarding label (e.g. MPLS label or IPv6
address) with a specific algorithm so that you can compute the next hope for
the forwarding label using the proper algorithm.  Then when a packet arrives,
it is simply forwarded according to the forwarding table (e.g.
FIB, LIB, ..)

If that is so, then I do not understand how a given prefix can be safely
associated with more than one algorithm.  I could imagine doing several
calculations according to different algorithms.  But how do you decide which
one applies to the packet?  As far as I know, flex-algo does not look at the
QoS/CoS/ToS bits.

Yours,
Joel

PS: I will admit that it took until  an operator described some "interesting"
constraints before I understood why one would even do this.

On 9/29/2020 11:50 PM, Huzhibo wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Associating multiple algorithms with a given prefix is an interesting topic,
> and I think this can simplify the complexity of FlexAlgo. I wonder if the
> author would consider using cases with multiple algorithms with a given
> prefix.
>
> Thanks
>
> ZHibo

>>> o
>>> nica-lsr-
>>> ip-flexalgo/__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!X7PVDP-
>>> FnUA0oCcZMw3Qde6in0C72hu_9hOZ53kPspIarR8fNDyU9Vck8x7e5ZqI$
>>> Htmlized:
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/dr
>>> a
>>> ft-
>>> bonica-lsr-ip-flexalgo__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!X7PVDP-
>>> FnUA0oCcZMw3Qde6in0C72hu_9hOZ53kPspIarR8fNDyU9Vck82w_6CyU$
>>> Htmlized:
>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-
>>> bonica-lsr-ip-flexalgo-00__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!X7PVDP-