Hi Ron,

From: Ron Bonica <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 at 2:20 PM
To: Acee Lindem <a...@cisco.com>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Lsr] RFC 8919, RFC 8920, Flex Algo, and Flex Algo BW Constraints

Acee,

So, let us discuss whether there is a good reason for
draft-ietf-lsr-flex-algo-con to specify ASLA !

Link attributes are different from application configuration information. Link
attributes are properties of a link.  They are independent of the applications
that use them. The following are examples:

-         Total physical bandwidth

-         Number of LAG elements

-         Bandwidth of smallest lag member

-         Latency

Link attributes do not benefit from ASLA encoding because they are not
application specific.

Application configuration information constrains the behavior of an
application. It can apply to:

-         The application and a link

-         The application only

Bandwidth reservation applies to an application and a link. For example, a link
may advertise that it has:

-         X Gbps available for RSVP-TE reservations

-         Y Gbps available for SR Policy reservations

-         Z Gbps available for TI-LFA reservations

This class of configuration information clearly benefits from ASLA encoding,
because it is applicable to both the application and the link.

Some applications (e.g., Flexalgo) can be configured to use a variety of link
attributes in SPF calculation. No matter how they acquire this configuration
information, it MUST be the same at each node. Otherwise, routing loops may
result. Configuration options are:

1)     Configure this information on each link and advertise link attributes
with ASLA

2)     Configure this information on each node that runs the application

3)     Configure this information in a few central places and advertise it to
all other nodes. The advertisement is not associated with a link. Flexalgo uses
the FAD in this manner.

Neither Option 1 nor Option 2 is very appealing, because it requires
configuration on each node. Option 3 is better because:

-         It requires configuration on only a few nodes

-         It maintains separation between link attributes and application
configuration information

-         It can support applications like Flexalgo, where each algorithm may
use different link attributes to calculate the shortest path

I’m having trouble envisioning this whole solution where bandwidth for Flex
Algo constraints is configured centrally. But in any case, the Robert indicated
how one could advertise an ASLA for all applications.

                        Ron

Juniper Business Use Only