From: Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:33 AM
To: Peter Psenak (ppsenak) <ppse...@cisco.com>
Cc: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>; Ron Bonica
<rbon...@juniper.net>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for
draft-hegde-lsr-asla-any-app-00.txt

Hey Peter,

> And I will perhaps say it again that to me flex-algo is more of a
> mechanism to build new applications then NEW APPLICATION itself.

no, flex-algo is a single application, it's not a mechanism to create
new applications. The fact that you can create many constraints
topologies using flex-algo, does not mean these should be considered as
different apps. You have to put and keep clear borders at clear places.
We have them defined by ASLA and by base flex-algo draft.

Why each constrained topology can not be intuitively called a different network
application ?

Is there any real definition of "IGP application" LSR WG has converged and
agreed upon ?

See your take that it is implicitly defined in flex-algo draft by setting one
bit to it in SABM is IMO pretty weak. Maybe it would hold if you forbid to use
UDABM for flex-algo metrics, but I do not see such restriction anywhere in
flex-algo draft nor in ASLA drafts. That means that implementation may allow it.

So flex algo is a single app if we use SABM, but it can be multiple apps if we
use UDABM ? Don't you think this is a bit loose definition ?

Cheers,
R.