From: Tony Li <tony1ath...@gmail.com> On Behalf Of Tony Li
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2021 10:56 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>; Gyan Mishra
<hayabusa...@gmail.com>; Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>; lsr
<lsr@ietf.org>; Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>; Tony Przygienda
<tonysi...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] 【Responses for Comments on PUAM Draft】RE: IETF 112 LSR
Meeting Minutes

Les,

The problem is that restricting the prefix length does nothing to limit the
number of advertisements that get flooded.  In a high-scale situation, when
there is a mass failure, it would lead to a flooding spike. That’s exactly not
the time to stress the system.

[LES:] As I have stated previously, I share your concern about the behavior
during massive events – and some care has to be taken to prevent making a bad
situation worse.
That said, the WG (including you and I)  is taking on enhancements to support
much faster flooding – on the order of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of
LSPs/second. We believe this can be done safely (though proof has not yet been
established).

And the point of doing that was to help improve IGP convergence time…

So, if you believe (as your active participation suggests) that IGPs can
support faster flooding – why do you believe they cannot support liveness
notification at a similar scale?

… not waste our time by inflating the LSDB by the same amount that we sped up
flooding.

Also, I don’t see how faster flooding has ANYTHING to do with it. Adding
negative liveness information is primary a scale issue.

I get that you consider such notifications as architecturally undesirable – we
can agree to disagree on that point.
But I don’t get why you think the IGP’s ability to handle large scale events is
a showstopper in this case.

I am opposed to anything that adds to the scale of the LSDB. Doubly so if it
does so during failures, when the IGP is already under stress. As you well
know, making an IGP stable during normal operations is one thing. Ensuring that
it is stable during worst case topological changes is quite another. Adding
scale during a mass failure is pessimal timing.