Hi,

The current PUA/PULSE discussion is aiming for letting the ingress PEs know
about egress PE failures. Alternatives to IGP domian wide flooding has been
discussed on other threads.

But I would like to bring to your attention a different point.

Imagine I am an ingress PE and have N paths for multi homed service to two
or more egress PEs.

>From pure operational POV my services and customers would be much more
efficient if I not only know if the remote egress PEs are up or down, but
also how busy those egress PEs are. Maybe one is at 90% fabric or queuing
utilization for the last 1h while guy next to it is just 5% of the same
metric as no one is selecting him as service best path.

Of course I see everyone (including myself) jumping that while very useful
this is not the role of IGP to communicate such data around. Well yes you
are right.

But the point is that if we want to build a bit more efficient and
intelligent WAN networks (just like SDWAN has done so already) we need such
additional information to be distributed irrespective of the underlay
routing.

And if we all agree with that then PUA/PULSE fit very nicely there too !

And if we continue to try to solve little point fixes/elements without
looking end to end especially without holistic view on what network role is
the outcome will be rather poor

Cheers,
Robert