Les, all sounds to me unfortunately like a gripe (and a late one @ that now
that things were worked on in WG for years & are ready to RFC being
customer deployed, @ least flood reflection is).

Plus,  unless you have a dramatically better idea than the drafts extended
I fail to understand what your point is except as Tony1 says "we should not
scale IGP higher?" (AFAIS hierarchy is not an answer here unless you ask
customers for a flag day with lots new static configuration everywhere and
possibly restructuring of their network to a hard-coded "hierarchy" and
albeit such effort may work in some totalitarian countries on in pretty
small networks, the majority of large ISIS customers will end such
discussions in timeframe of single minutes clock count ;-)

-- tony