From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Christian Hopps
<cho...@chopps.org>
Sent: 24 February 2022 14:02
Alvaro Retana <alvaro.ret...@futurewei.com> writes:

> On February 23, 2022 at 8:35:03 PM, Christian Hopps wrote:
>

> Chris:
>
> Hi!
>

>> I support these changes, and thanks for taking this up.
>
> :-)
>

>> I guess it makes sense to not go full-in and re-spin the base docs if there
>> literally are no other changes (although one wonders if it will actually
>> change things like CLIs if we don't).
>>
>> That said, quite a few errata exist for both of these documents.
>>
>> Maybe an even better way forward with these types of inclusivity updates, for
>> base documents with errata, would be to re-spin the base doc incorporating
>> the existing errata *and* the improved terminology.
>
> Hmmm...  That sounds like a lot of work for a couple of words.
>
> The concern with opening up a big document like rfc2328/rfc5340 is that other
> things may creep in: "let's fix this", "let's add that", "let's include the
> Updates", "what about security?", etc.

It's wouldn't be a lot of work and those fears need not be present if we start
the process with things clearly defined. "The *only* changes allowed are to
incorporate the already accepted errata, and the terminology change; no other
changes will be accepted". That's it, nothing more allowed. That would be the
first thing for the WG to agree on, the rest would be editorial changes and
shouldn't require much time at all then.

This shouldn't be hard to do, and if it is, maybe we're just doing it wrong. :)

<tp>

The problem I have always had with RFC2328, rendering it unusable, is the
formatting where spaces have been replace with tabs, at least on every copy I
have downloaded from the RFC Editor web site, and several years of trying have
never yielded the magic formula as to what the tab settings should be for the
document to print in a usable format.

I would engage with a 2328bis

Tom Petch

Thanks,