Hi Peter, Ketan,

See one inline.

On 7/28/22, 10:08 AM, "Lsr on behalf of Peter Psenak" <lsr-boun...@ietf.org on
behalf of ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

    Hi Ketan,

    On 28/07/2022 02:27, Ketan Talaulikar wrote:
    > Hello Authors,
    >
    > Sharing some comments upfront on this draft given the packed LSR agenda.
    >
    > 1) There is currently no change in protocol encoding (see also further
    > comment), however, there are protocol procedures at the ABR being
    > specified using normative language. Specifically, the text related to
    > the propagation of UPA across levels/areas/domains. Therefore, I believe
    > that this draft should be moved to the standards track.

    no objection from my side, if the WG decides that way.

    > 2) The document refers to "prefix reachability" in a generic sense. My
    > understanding is that this refers to the "base" prefix reachability in
    > the IGPs - i.e., Extended IP Reachability (TLV 135) and its MT & IPv6
    > siblings in ISIS, the OSPFv2 Type 3 LSA, and the OSPFv3
    > Inter-Area Prefix LSA (and its Extended LSA sibling). It would be good
    > to specify these for clarity.

    sure, we can clarify.

    > 3) I also prefer (like some other WG members) that there is an explicit
    > indication that is carried along with the UPAs. E.g., a UPA flag. This
    > will help in more accurate monitoring and handling of these updates. It
    > will also help differentiate the usual/existing max/infinite metric
    > advertisements that may be triggered for other reasons from a UPA.

    I'm of opinion that the existing mechanisms are sufficient and the flag
    would be redundant.

I agree. One of the main arguments against this signaling overhead and for
OSPFv2, we'd need to use an opaque LSA (given the LSA Options are all taken
unless we reuse the MC-Bit). Using the same metric that is used for backward
compatibility simplifies things.

    thanks,
    Peter