Hi Les and other authors,

I didn’t see a reply to Murray’s comment. It’s not a DISCUSS so not mandatory
for you to reply but it would be appreciated.

Of Murray’s comments, I personally don’t think RFC 7981 needs to be normative,
the test being that if you never looked at 7981 you’d still know how to update
the registry as Section 6.3 requests.

On looking at the RFC 4271 references, in looking at the second reference to it:

   Note further that if BGP is used to exchange TE
   information as described in Section 4.1, the inter-AS BGP session
   SHOULD be secured using mechanisms as described in [RFC4271] to
   provide authentication and integrity checks.

I noticed a more serious concern of my own; I’m not sure how I missed this. To
wit, RFC 4271 specifies use of TCP-MD5 [RFC 2385] for authentication/integrity.
But 2385 was obsoleted by TCP-AO [RFC 5925]. Probably it would be better to say
something like

   Note further that if BGP is used to exchange TE
   information as described in Section 4.1, the inter-AS BGP session
   SHOULD be secured using mechanisms such as those described in [RFC5925] to
   provide authentication and integrity checks.

And then add 5925 as, I suppose, a normative reference. Although I did sneak
“such as” in there, since there are other ways to secure BGP as well (for
example it’s been known to run it over IPSec, or people do use TCP-MD5 despite
it being obsoleted).

I apologize for not noticing this sooner!

Regarding Murray’s comments on SHOULDs, it looks as though the ones regarding
Section 3 (all subsections) are overtaken by events (Murray, check if you like;
most of the SHOULDs are gone and IMO the ones in §3.1 are sufficiently
qualified). The points about Section 4 are unchanged but I’d like to point out
that Section 4 itself is unchanged vs. the base RFC 5316 so I had chosen to let
sleeping dogs lie.

—John