Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-reverse-metric-09: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-reverse-metric/

DISCUSS:

Thanks for this document.

I support Alvaro's discuss.  Having read Alvaro's discuss after writing my
ballot comments it seems to be some what closely related, but I am also
balloting discuss because I find the operational guidelines to be unclear.

(1) p 8, sec 7.  Operational Guidelines

   Implementations MUST NOT signal reverse metric to neighbors by
   default and MUST provide a configuration option to enable the
   signaling of reverse metric on specific links.  Implementations
   SHOULD NOT accept the RM from its neighbors by default and SHOULD
   provide a configuration option to enable the acceptance of the RM
   from neighbors on specific links.  This is to safeguard against
   inadvertent use of RM.

I'm not really sure that I properly understand how this feature works from a
manageability perspective.  Particularly for your first use case, when
considering that the proposal is for per link configuration for the acceptance
of RM from neighbours.  This would seem to suggest that before you can make use
of reverse-metric you have to already have determined the links on the affected
devices to then configure them to accept the reverse-metrics, at which point,
doesn't this partially defeat the use case?  Or is the main goal to simplify
the coordination of changing the metric at both ends of the link at the same
time?

Or is the intention that during the maintenance window the operators would
enable the "allow receipt of reverse-metrics" on all links within, say, an
area?  If so, would hierarchical device and area specific configuration be more
appropriate?  E.g., allow it to be enabled/disbaled on individual links, but
also allow more coarse grained configuration.

Not as an update for this document, but I am assuming that the LSR working
group with eventually update or augment the OSPF YANG module with standard
configuration to support this feature.

(2) p 8, sec 7.  Operational Guidelines

   For the use case in Section 2.1, it is RECOMMENDED that the network
   operator limits the period of enablement of the reverse metric
   mechanism to be only the duration of a network maintenance window.

Presumably this isn't feasible when the CE is not managed by the provider?  In
this scenario, is the expectation that the configuration to accept
reverse-metrics would just be left always enabled on the CE device?  Is this a
security concern?

Regards,
Rob