Tony –

Inline…but I agree we can let this simmer for a while…

From: Antoni Przygienda <p...@juniper.net>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 12:55 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>; lsr@ietf.org;
draft-ietf-lsr-distoptflood.auth...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-lsr-distoptflood-01

Thanks, most of the update were your comments.

Yeah, IANA will come

So, the problem is that you do NOT flood on those adjacencies where we suggest
to send PSNPs and hence no RTX will happen, only CSNP will fix it and that’s
slow. So PNSPs will speed it up … So I don’t follow your logic aobut (it will
RTX anyway)

[LES:] I understand the PSNPs are to be sent on the links NOT used in the
reduced flooding.
My point is that if you don’t get an ack back from the peer on the link on
which you did flood, it could be because:

a)The neighbor is sending delayed acks or
b)The LSP actually got dropped

Depending on implementation choice, “a” could take 2+ seconds.
If “b” happens the LSP will get retransmitted withing 5 seconds anyway

If you want your mechanism to be better/faster than periodic CSNPs but be
unlikely to trigger unnecessary duplicate flooding you need to pick a timer
between 2-5 seconds – which isn’t going to be much better than the 5 second
retransmit interval.
And you risk unnecessary duplicate flooding.
Anyway, we understand each other now (I hope)…

   Les

I’m perfectly fine keeping it a SHOULD or even MAY if you’re more comfortable
with that, but it will speed up in case of hicc-ups AFAIS.

And no, we don’t have currently experimental data we can disclose … And neither
have you so we basically all argue on “feelings and experience” and hence won’t
make progress. Experimental data shouild come over time. And even then, it will
hinge on so many topological, link behavior assumptions we can argue the whole
day long anyway.

For the moment the draft will just chuck along in the WG as it is, it’s still
early and further discusisons will happen  …

Thanks again Les for thorough reading and thinking it through

  *   Tony