Les,

Pls see inline..

Juniper Business Use Only

-----Original Message-----
From: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 11:02 AM
To: Shraddha Hegde <shrad...@juniper.net>; lsr@ietf.org
Subject: RE: UPA and planned/unplanned signalling

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

Shraddha -

Thanx for the response.

So the way you are proposing to use UPA on the receiving nodes is:

1)For unplanned loss of reachability trigger BGP-PIC for immediate response

2)For planned loss of reachability, don't trigger BGP-PIC - simply trigger a
best path calculation considering the high cost of reaching the node about to
go into maintenance.
You can "get away with doing this" because you assume that when you receive the
UPA indicating planned maintenance that the node is still reachable i.e.,
maintenance hasn't actually started yet.

Do I understand you correctly?
<SH> That is correct.

This does help me to understand your motivation, but I am not fully
appreciating the benefits.
Whether you trigger BGP-PIC or not, you will have to do a new best path
calculation. I don't see that not triggering BGP-PIC provides a benefit worth
pursuing.
But maybe we just will have to agree to disagree on that.
<SH> ok

If there is consensus to keep the two bits, I would suggest that the UP flag be
a modifier of the U flag i.e., the U flag is always set (planned or unplanned),
the UP flag is set in addition to the U flag when the trigger is planned
maintenance. The UP flag would be ignored if sent without U flag set.
This would provide a modest simplification for those implementations which
don't care about the distinction - just look at the U flag.
For those implementations that want to make the distinction you seem to favor,
they would inspect both flags.

??
<SH> The flags should be defined to mean one thing or the other which is how it
is defined currently. I do not like the proposal  of defining the meaning of
the flags based on how one implementation wants to interpret them.
It is quite surprising to me that looking at two different flags is presumably
more complex for some implementations.
However, I am not going to argue beyond this on this topic. I am fine with
whatever co-authors decide on this.

   Les