Robert,

On 25/07/2023 19:50, Robert Raszuk wrote:
Hi,

 > So we have a way to achieve consistency if it is ever needed.

Well you do not have any protocol way to assure that operational configuration mistakes will not result in inconsistent routing.

But overall I do agree that for the vast majority of applications that concern is not really applicable ? In fact I would be happy if you limit the UPA scope *only* for services which use end to end encapsulation.

that is certainly the main use case we are targeting.

It is also important to observe that this is not negative routing and that P nodes will continue to forward packets to destinations marked as UPA as the information will not be really reflected as holes/drops in their respective FIBs.

that is indeed the case. The forwarding based on the less specific route is not affected by UPA.

thanks,
Peter

Thx,
R.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 10:38 AM Peter Psenak <ppse...@cisco.com <mailto:ppse...@cisco.com>> wrote:

    Hi Robert,

    On 25/07/2023 18:51, Robert Raszuk wrote:
     > Hey Peter,
     >
     > I think the point Bruno is making is valid ... Imagine dual or
    triple
     > vendor network and hop by hop routing (no end to end SAFI).
     >
     > That means that all nodes should be in synch in terms to react on
    UPA,

    chapter 7 of the draft says:

    "Processing of the received UPAs is optional and SHOULD be
    controlled by
    the configuration at the receiver. The receiver itself, based on its
    configuration, decides what the UPA will be used for and what
    applications, if any, will be notified when UPA is received."

    So we have a way to achieve consistency if it is ever needed. For most
    cases, the network wide consistency is not needed.

    thanks,
    Peter

     > Of course you will say that this is up to wise operator to enable it
     > only when it makes sense ... but I think the point is still valid
    and
     > clearly for none tunneled networks (if ever to use UPA) this is
    NOT a
     > local decision,
     >
     > For vast majority it is local as forwarding is using some sort of
    PE-PE

    <mailto:40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>

    <mailto:bruno.decra...@orange.com>
    <mailto:bruno.decra...@orange.com>> wrote:
     >      > Hi all,
     >      >
     >      > IP reachability advertised by IS-IS is often used by other
     >     routing and
     >      > signaling protocols (e.g., BGP, PIM (rpf vector) LDP,
     >     RSVP-TE...). As
     >      > such, UPA may affect those protocols.
     >      >
     >      > Has UPA been presented in other WGs in the routing areas?
     >      >
     >      > I believe this would be prudent if not required.
     >
     >     why do you believe so? How is this different to an IGP prefix
    becoming
     >     unreachable without UPA?
     >
     >      >
     >      > In particular, BGP is (heavily) using reachability of
    (loopbacks)
     >      > addresses advertised in IS-IS in order to evaluate the
     >     reachability of
     >      > BGP routes and compute their preference.
     >      >
     >      > If UPA is not interpreted the same ways by all routers,
     >     forwarding loops
     >      > may occur in a hop by hop routed network. (because
    different routers
     >      > would select different paths since they use different
    information to
     >      > select their path)
     >
     >     I don't see a problem, please provide an example.
     >     If an ingress PE decides to switch to an alternate BGP path,
    how does
     >     that creates any potential loop? And why all egress PEs would
    need
     >     to do
     >     the same?
     >
     >      >
     >      > This is not considered nor discussed in the draft. Quite the
     >     contrary,
     >      > draft says that recognition, processing and use of UPA is
    a local
     >      > consideration.
     >
     >     yes, and we want to keep it that way.
     >
     >     thanks,
     >     Peter
     >

     >      >
     >      > I would suggest to at minimum present this draft to IDR
    and gets the
     >      > feedback from the IDR WG.
     >      >
     >      > --Bruno
     >      >
     >      >
     >      > Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des
     >     informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
     >      > pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation.
    Si vous