Aijun,

please see inline:

On 06/11/2023 13:23, Aijun Wang wrote:
Hi, all:

Here are some technical questions for the hurry adopted draft about unreachable prefixes announcement:

1) There exists already “prefix originator” sub-TLV to indicate the associated prefix is unreachable, what’s the advantage of using other undefined, to-be-standardized, to-be-implemented sub-TLV?

many people have already commented on why overloading the “prefix originator” sub-TLV to signal unreachability is a bad idea. Please accept that feedback.

2) It is unnecessary to define the “UP” flag——if the operator know the unreachable event in advance, they can also schedule the switchover of the related services in advance. Why bother IGP to transfer such information?

looks like there are folks that see the value in it. I let them to comment more, but I don't necessarily see a problem in an extra bit. If you don't like it, don't use it.

3) There is very limited usage of LS_Infinity in current network. From the operator’s viewpoint, we will decrease its usage also in future. Then the solution should try their best to avoid their usages——Current solutions instead enhance its usage——It is unacceptable. Let’s keep the network simple.

the reasons for using the LSInfinity for unreachability has been discussed at great length a;ready. It's the backward compatibility for routers not supporting the new signalling - we need to avoid them interpreting the unreachability as reachability.

4) We can’t ignore the partitions scenarios or let’s it go.

if you feel like the partition is the problem, you can write a separate draft and address it there. We are NOT trying to solve it with UPA draft. And for a reason.

5) There should be some mechanisms to control the volume of advertised unreachable information, when compared with reachable information, as done in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-12#section-6.

please look at the section 6 of the UPA draft.

thanks,
Peter

Please consider the above technical issues carefully before evaluating and adopted any proposal.

If the above issues can’t be solved, we request the WG to adopt also the https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement/,which cover and solve all of the above issues.

Aijun Wang
China Telecom