From: Acee Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com>
Sent: 15 January 2024 20:30

Hi Tom,

Since this YANG model describes the RFC 8362 encodings, those encodings should
be the primary reference all the leaves and identifies.

<tp>

Acee

I think that you are wrong.  The historian in me knows that given a choice or
primary or secondary sources, the secondary can only get it wrong; you always
the case for most of the definitions here).

> On Jan 13, 2024, at 07:42, tom petch <ie...@btconnect.com> wrote:

<snip>

> <tp>
> Most of my comments on this I-D from August are addressed but I still have
> some doubts.
>
> p.11 identity nu-bit
> this is not esplained in the referenced RFC8362; RFC5340 A.4.1.1 would be a
> better reference

Agreed. However, I think including both references would be good since RFC 8362
includes the
flags in TLVs

> identity la-bit
> here RFC8362 changes the meaning so I think the reference to RFC8362 is ok

Actually, for the LA-bit, both references would be good.

> p.11 identity p-bit
> this is not esplained in the referenced RFC8362; RFC5340 A.4.1.1 would be a
> better reference

Same as nu-bit.

> p.12 identity dn-bit
> this is not esplained in the referenced RFC8362; RFC5340 A.4.1.1 would be a
> better reference

Same as nu-bit.

> p.12 identity e-bit
> this is not esplained in the referenced RFC8362; in fact, this one defeats
> me.  It is present in  a diagram, s.3.6,  but with no explanation.  Reading
> RFC5340 it could be A.4.3 but I am not sure

If one is familiar with OSPF, it is clear. For AS External and NSSA metrics,
there are type 1 and type 2 metrics. Type 1 are simply added to intra-area
metric to the originator. Type 2 metrics are considered greater than type 1
metrics. This hasn’t changed since RFC 1247 - just the OSFPv3 and OSPFv3
extended-LSA encodings. Since the description is brief, I’ll include it in its
entirety.

<tp>
Indeed I learnt about Type 1 and Type 2 25 years ago and know them well; but in
the modern  context of SR, IPv6, OSPFv3, extended LSA etc I did not recognise
the terse allusion.

And why do you not include the AC bit defined in RFC9513?

Tom Petch