Hi Muthu,

On 01/04/2024 09:42, Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal wrote:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response..

First, to confirm if I understood correctly:
<snip>
The intent of UPA is to provide an event driven signal of the transition of a destination from reachable to unreachable. It is not intended to advertise a persistent state. UPA advertisements should therefore be withdrawn after a modest amount of time, that would provides sufficient time for UPA to be flooded network-wide and acted upon by receiving nodes, but limits the presence of UPA in the network to a short time period. The time the UPA is kept in the network SHOULD also reflect the intended use-case for which the UPA was advertised.
</snip>

The withdrawal of the UPA signal does not imply that the prefix is reable again, instead only that the (unreachable) signal is not valid anymore, correct?

correct

Any reason why "should therefore be withdrawn" is not using a BGP 14 keyword while "The time the UPA is kept in the network SHOULD also reflect the intended use-case" is?

what is BGP 14? Do you mean BCP 14? If yes, we will change to uppercase.

While I agree that this draft is about IGP extension and the intended use-case/behavior is local and outside the scope of this draft, there are certain operational implications (both good and bad) of the choice made by the receiver, especially whether or not to trigger BGP best path based on UPA. I think this is better described in at least an informational draft (just like how BGP PIC is) for both the implementer and the operator to weigh the pros vs cons of the choices..

well, I tend to disagree here. But you are free to write such a draft of course. Here I would like to keep the IGP UPA draft agnostic to the BGP usage of the UPA signal.

thanks,

Peter

Regards,
Muthu