I have nothing against creating better automation tools.
I welcome descriptions of automation problems that I and
my students could think about ways to solve.

But:
a) I am convinced that the way we do things now is not
   necessarily the most efficient or least painful way
   to accomplish desired effects.
b) I've seen over and over that the way we conceive of
   problems often blindsides us to a better solution.
c) I've seen, lately, some revolutionary ways of thinking
   that *eliminate* problems rather than *mitigating* them.
   The best strategies
   - eliminate couplings rather than just resolving them.
   - separate functions onto independent servers to the extent possible.
   - use various forms and grains of virtualization as a configuration
     management tool.
   - employ service boundaries as a natural form of abstraction.

Therefore, I conclude that the best strategy for dealing with
something that hurts may well be to do something else!

        "Doctor, it hurts if I do this!"
        "Then don't do that!"

--
Dr. Alva L. Couch