I'm sure Luke is aware of this already but I've not seen this mentioned on this list yet.

Red Hat's Emerging Technologies Group is working on something called Cft:

http://puppet.et.redhat.com/

This leverages puppet to attempt to do something we discussed in a Workshop in Edinburgh a few years ago - reverse engineering what systems admins do on the bare metal back into a site configuration specification. It actually outputs the detected changes into puppet manifest snippets that can then be integrated back into the puppet site specification.

The whole thing starts to get really interesting when you look at the architecture diagram lower down on the main Emerging Tech page:

http://et.redhat.com/page/Main_Page

The whole "specification of virtual machine instances" seems to be very similar indeed to some of the work John (Sechrest) talked about at that same workshop.

Anyone else tried this yet? What are your thoughts?

Carwyn