Also, Mandrake has come out with a PPC dist.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3#ppc

______________________________________

Brent J. Baude   |   Information Architect for TCP/IP, Security, & Linux
3605 Hwy 52N
Rochester, MN  55901

(507) 253-0708
T/L 8-553-0708
FAX (507) 253-5192

                    "Chris G. Sellers"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Subject:     Re:
[Ltsp-discuss] Macs as Xterminals?
                    eforge.net

                    09/25/2001 03:32 PM

                    Please respond to ltsp-discuss

LinuxPPC or other PPC distros of Linux run well on these class of
PowerMacs. (603e and 604/604e based PowerPC chips).

You have to make sure your systems are not NuBUS, and that they have a
supported Network card controller chip.  (This would be an LinuxPPC
limitation, if LinuxPPC support the computer on thier list, then it would
be ok)

I have run a LinuxPPC server at home for over a year now and it works
great.  I have never made an LTSP attempt, but really, mimicking the X86
stuff would be most of the work.  It's an effort in reproducing the effort
on the PowerPC, and making a bootable network floppy which may be the hard
part.

Sellers

> A school nearby has been donated some desktop Macs and a server, and have

> come to me for advice - but I know next to nothing about Macs & Linux.
It's a
> mixed bunch of hardware: 5300, 6320, 7200 & 7300. The LinuxPPC and
mkLinux
> distributions seem to cover them as standalone machines, if that's what
one
> wants.
>
> I know there's been some preliminary moves to enable LTSP to support
other
> platforms than Intel (new location of ltsroot etc), but this list is
> essentially about Intel-based h/w. Still, could someone give me some
pointers
> as to the usability of Macs as X-terminals? URLs or experiences all
welcome.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Ragnar Wisløff

      =

   Sellers , Chris G.           - UNIX System Administrator
    Oakland University Information Technology
    220 Dodge Hall, Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401
    Phone: (248) 370.2016    FAX: (248) 370.4209
`