We are building a Point-of-Sale system with a number of diskless clients.
The server will run RedHat/Apache/mySQL/PHP.

Security has become an issue.
We need to control the transactions submitted by each client.

We don't like the idea of giving each client a seperate login/password
because these will not remain secret for long.
We want to track the IP or MAC of each client as each transaction is
processed.

PHP has a function called REMOTE_ADDR which returns the IP address of a
standard client.
Unfortunately, this function returns the server IP when called by a diskless
client.
PHP can "send a request to the Linux command line", but I don't know if this
is heading on the right path.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.