Leland Dieno wrote:

> Have any of you ever heard of freesco? and if you have, what are your
> opinions on it? I was just looking to get some expert opinions from some
> gurus! <g>

At school I installed Freesco (http://www.freesco.org) on an old 486
PC with 16 Mb RAM, a 200 Mb HDU, three NICs and good old MSDos v6.2.
Don't worry! MSDos is only needed to boot the PC and to launch Freesco
Linux from within a Dos directory. After that MSDos is (nearly) out of
the picture! I've written a config.sys and an autoexec.bat which
present an MSDos menu with two items. The first menuitem automagically
launches Freesco whenever the PC is powered on. The second menuitem
boots to the Dos prompt for maintenance purposes.

In the above setup Freesco sits behind a cable modem to route the
traffic between the Internet and two classrooms. One of them has a 16
PC Win98 network. Whereas the other (mine!) is equipped with 14 thin
clients and a server in an LTSP setup. Freesco performs its job 24/7
for more than 8 months now and I never had to look at it again!

At home I also use a cable modem and a copy of Freesco on a 486 PC. At
the moment there is only one standalone (SuSE) Linux box connected to
the outside world. But I am setting up an LTSP system for my
household.

Besides being a router, Freesco can also act as a firewall, a time
server and a print server. It even contains a small HTTPD and a web
control panel protected by a login. I intend to use Freesco for
separate print servers in each classroom and as a time server for each
connected PC, but I haven't looked into that yet.

All in all I'd say Freesco works great for me!
Wouter DeBacker