> I'm getting incredibly slow performance on the clients, which, admittedly are rather
>puny - 486
> with 4MB RAM, rtl8139 10MB/s network card.

Your problem is undoubtably the RAM on the clients. I think that 16M would
really be the workable minimum and probably 32M to be realistic to run
the X window system at useable speed.

The 10Mb/s network is fine, we used to run about 50 X-terminals on a 10Mbit
thick ethernet truck no problem. 64K full duplex is about the minimum to use
X.