Hello folks,

I fixed the gdm redhat 7.2 problem (or rather realized that the bug was a
feature :). Found this out since my sshd was not accepting connections from
outside the local subnet (we run real IPs) on the server.

Apparently gdm and sshd are among those that now (since RH7.2) check or use
the /etc/hosts.allow file (kdm and xdm still do not check this file, which
is why they work. Thus gdm could potentially be more secure in an open
environment). If you have the local subnet wide open to all services, you
would not have had a problem running gdm (Jim I think this is your case).

So in addition to all the settings in the gdm howto, you need

gdm: 192.168.1.

in your /etc/hosts.allow file.

UNLESS you have an

ALL: 192.168.1.

Same for sshd.

sshd: ALL

(since I allow ssh connects from all over).

If you run real IPs then you would need the appropriate subnet

So if you see denied messages for any service in your /var/log/messages in
RH7.2 check your /etc/hosts.allow settings.

Best regards,

---Venkat.