Hello!

I just subscribe in this mailing list and I'm very much interested with the LTSP.
Actually, I just knew this LTSP last month and I find it very interesting to learn.

I am actually planning to develop my own LTSP for our Public High Schools here in our
country as my thesis topic.  I hope that it is okay with you especially to the
maintainers and/or creators of LTSP.  My thesis is entitled "A proposed GNU/Linux
Terminal Server for the Public High Schools".  I hope you can help me especially when
I'll encounter problems during my development.

Anyway, my subject says it all.  Our typical number of students in every classroom in
most public high schools are more or less 40 students.  And with that, I may propose
that there should be at least 40 workstations in every classroom and with only one
server.  So with this, I really don't know what will be the typical specs for the
servers.  Basically, I want to install the following software packages for the
students:

Operating System:
- Linux Mandrake 8.0 or 8.1

X Window:
- KDE

Office Suite:
- StarOffice 5.2

Programming/Scripting Languages:
- gcc & etc.
- Sun J2SE
- Perl
- PHP
- Phyton
- etc.

Multimedia:
- Xine
- XMMS

Graphics:
- Gimp

Web Browsers:
- Konqueror
- Netscape Communicator
- Links

Manuals:

Others:

I am planning to use a Dual AMD Athlon 1.5 Ghz Motherboard but I still don't know if
it works fine with LTSP.  Besides, I still don't know what brand and model number of
motherboard is good with this kind of setup.  Can you recommend one?

I also have a problem with the NIC that I'll use in this project.  Do you know what
type and model of ROM is compatible with Cnet PRO200 NIC 100/10 Mbps?  Cnet PRO200 NIC
is a cheap one compared to other leading NICs here in our country.  But my second
choice of NIC is D-Link DFE-530TX.  And again, I don't know what type and model of ROM
shall I buy for this brand of NIC.

By the way, is it just okay to have 1.5 Ghz of SDRAM for the server for this kind of
setup?

Thank you very much.

May the source be with you...

Marvin