Hi again,

worked out my own problem in the end but since I did see another person
asking a similar question in the archives thought I'd explain what I found
out.

When I swapped the videocard for another one all came good.  I presume that
either the orrigional video card is not supported by linux or I was using
the svga server and the videocard wasn't up to the task (maybe I should have
gone with a lower server - but a better graphics card was probably in
order!).

cheers,

noel