Ok, on to today's problem. I'm trying to bring up 2.09pre4, since I have a
network card that doesn't appear to be supported (NetGear fa311, natsemi
driver) I'm recompiling the kernel and trying to get it to boot. I've loaded
Linux 2.4.9 source code, applied the swap over NFS patch, enabled what I
think are all the right options, compiled . . .

The bottom line right now is that the kernel boots, everything probes out OK
and then . . .

VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

                 And it hangs right there

I've checked and double checked all the kernel options that I think should
have an effect, nothing.  Anyone have a clue ?

        Thanks
                Scott