Local apps are broken in the 2.08 release

Try the 2.09 pre 3 (maybe higher now)

----Original Message-----
From:   Gerry Duprey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, September 28, 2001 11:34 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        [Ltsp-discuss] LTSP, RH 7.1 And Local Apps

Howdy All,

After a long wait, I finally decided to upgrade my server to RedHat 7.1 and
2.4 based kernel.  That upgrade went pretty well.

As a consequence, I needed to also update my functioning LTSP install to the
2.4.7 kernel.  This is because I run local apps on the workstations and to
make that as transparent as possible, the workstations mounts the /bin,
/sbin
and /lib directories from my server.

I built a 2.4 based monolithic kernel for LTSP, installed it and it booted
just ducky.  But when control was suppose to turn over to the init process,
it
hung.  Figuring it was some incompatibility, I eventually scrubbed my LTSP
install (old and seriously modified) and downloaded the latest LTS Core
2.08.
I kept my 2.4 kernel.

Things looked much better, except that now the rc.local script generated
tons
of errors.  Turned out the 2.4 mount required /dev/null to exists before the
mount command could mount the /tmp RAM file system.  Made some little
changes
and finally got to the point where I was able to mount the rest of the
directories.

As soon as my system mounts /lib, everything croaks.  I can't run virtually
any command anymore (even ls and such give an "Illegal Instruction").  If I
don't mount /lib, then most things work, but some commands don't (java, and
few others).

My workstations are Pentium-MMX units and the server is a dual processor
PIII.  It appears that there is some i686 based code that the pentium-MMX is
trying to execute and fails (at least, that is my current guess).  However,
since my workstation/MMX kernel is monolithic (no modules) and the only
things
that are 686 specific (that I know of) are the kernel for the server and the
modules it loads, I can't understand how this could be "infecting" /lib.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts folks may have on this.  I've been
working on it (off an on) for two days and really haven't been able to budge
past this point.  All my apps depend heavily on local execution from a
shared
root (well, /bin, /sbin and /lib) environment.

Thanks, very much, in advance for any help/pointers!

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI