Jeff,

The LOCAL_WM parameter isn't used any more.

The window manager will run on the server.

if you want it to run on the workstation, you would have to figure out
all the stuff
that Gnome needs, and put that into the /opt/ltsp/i386 tree.

Then, to launch it, you would have to setup a .xinitrc script in the
users home
directory to do an 'rsh' to launch the window manager on the workstation.

Take a look at the http://www.ltsp.org/instructions-2.09pre4.html
Near the bottom of the document, there is an example of how to launch
a local application.  You should be able to launch the window manager in
a similar way.

You may want to consider running the window manager on the server, but
then running
the applications on the workstation.

keep in mind, that not all apps are good candidates to be run locally.
 For instance,
Netscape makes a good local app, but StarOffice makes a good server app.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]