Jim,

I have seen a couple of posts, in the last few weeks, with regard to people
testing local apps with the pre-release of the next version of ltsp.

I have checked out the Sep 30 changelog and also your updated instructions
page, dated 5 October.

Could you provide a little information on how you see the local app package
heading. In my little testing I have done, with this new release, it seems
that the Xsession is running on the server, using the workstation only as a
X display., ie, the xdm logon session is sent from the server and the xterm
session shows the hostname = server and display = workstation:0

You note the the only local app provided is the netscape browser and more
apps will follow. This seems a different direction, when in the 2.07
version, all the X server files, libraries and run files were NFS mounted
from the server and any app that ran on the server, would run 'natively' on
the workstation.

This is not a complaint, I think the whole ltsp idea is great and very cool,
it's just that removing file access to the servers /usr /lib limits software
to be run locally. Though I guess, with the source available, we can do the
work ourselves. We currently have a very successful pilot system in
production, with all workstations running apps locally. At its current
status, the new release of ltsp will probably not be installed for this
reason.

Regards

Doug.