I saw another request for information on getting this to succeed, but I
thought I'd volunteer my configuration.
So far, I'm able to get the diskless client running in what looks like init
level 3. I have a shell login on the client itself, and I have successfully
mounted all the directories I need. I'm using v2.08 of the kernel.

>From here, what do I need to do to get the telnetd running on the diskless
client? If I modify my inittab so that I am starting up /sbin/mingetty tty1
for runlevel 3, I come up to a login: prompt. I'm pretty sure that the
authentication process is working, because if I login a user with the wrong
password, then I see AUTHENTICATION FAILURE messages echoed to the console
of the client. However, if I login a user with the correct password, then I
see no messages. I simply get a login: prompt returned.

To test further, if I manually start up the in.telnetd in debug mode
(/usr/sbin/in.telnetd -debug), I can telnet in from a remote PC and see a
login: prompt. However, I get the same results. Trying to login a user with
the incorrect password generates AUTHENTICATION FAILURE messages on the
diskless client's console, and logging in with the correct password causes
the telnetd to terminate.

I've been trying to research into what processes need to be running in order
to allow remote login, but I've found no useful information. I'm also not
certain that I'm really in runlevel 3, even though that is the default
runlevel in my inittab. I'm pretty sure that once I get multi-users running,
the problem will be resolved, but I'm not quite sure what to do from here.

My approach at this time is to make the inetd.conf, inittab, and rc.local
look as similar as possible to the xinetd.conf, inittab, and rc.sysinit on a
full linux system, then shave down the daemons that I don't need running,
but I don't know if it's a feasible idea.

Any help you can offer would be great.
Thanks.

Elbert Lai
Manager, Engineering Services @ Real Time Solutions
5650 Hollis Street, Suite 100 . Emeryville, CA 94608
Main: (510) 985-6300 . Direct: (510) 985-6384 . Fax: (510) 595-8813.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.picktolight.com