I need to get sound working on my workstations. I did the ESD fix outlined
in: sound success without local apps and ltspsound, and it works :) I can
use any program that outputs through esd, xmms is the one I test with.

However, I have no control over the volume other than in the rc.local
script with the initial "aumix -v" line.
I put aumix into the /opt/i386/ltsp/usr/bin and placed all of the libs in
their respective places, but aumix still runs off of the server, so when I
adjust the volume using it, it's only adjusting the volume on the server.
I also tried using rsh in a script to run aumix on the workstation, I
thought I was onto something here, but alas I got this errror:
aumix:   error opening the mixer

I added a line in the rc.local file that changes the permissions of the
dsp and mixer devices:

SOUND=`get_cfg SOUND`
if [ "${SOUND}" = "Y" ]; then
     echo "Running Sound Server..."
     /bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -as 2 -public -port 5001 &
     /bin/aumix -v 50
     /bin/aumix -w 100
     chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/mixer
fi