jhazer,

There have been many discussions about this before, but I know the
archive search is broken, so here's a quick summary...

To figure out what your video card can do, use this formula:

        pixels = x_dim * y_dim
        bytes/pixel = bit_depth/8
        VRAM required = pixels * bytes/pixel
                = x_dim * y_dim * bit_depth / 8

So, if you want 800x600 with 16-bit color, your card needs 960,000 bytes
of RAM (basically, 1MB of video RAM).

Now, what really concerns me is the monitor.  Those old heavy 14"
monitors just suck to configure X for.  They do not accept a wide range
of signals and often being close but not quite right results in
headache-causing flicker or distortions.  If you have tons of time to
play around with the thing, be my guest, but if you just want to get
your station up and running, look for a newer monitor.

If you choose to stick with the little 14" monitor, here are two
approaches to tweaking the display:

1) Get it working so that you can at least see the screen somewhat and
read text.  Then run 'xvidtune' and play with the parameters until the
screen gets better.  It might not make sense immediately, but stretching
and moving the screen around can improve flicker conditions.  When it
looks good, tell xvidtune to spit out the modeline and then program it
into the lts.conf file for that station.

2) Pull out the bazooka:  download the LTSP Enhancements package, listed
on the LTSP Contrib page.  A part of their package allows you to run X
configuration tools locally on the station and will store the results
back on the server for you.  Read the docs.

Jason