I haven't been able to get local floppy drive access on the
workstation with LTSP 3.0, Debian unstable.  Help please.

I've added this to rc.local,

echo "Running floppyd"
mknod -m 0666 /tmp/fd0 b 2 0
/bin/floppyd -d /tmp/fd0 ws001:0 :0

and also have
MODULE_01        = floppy
in the [ws001] stanza in lts.conf.

On the server:

$ cat ~/.mtoolsrc
drive a: file="DISPLAY" remote 1.44m mformat_only

On the workstation after starting X I get this:
$ mdir a:
Permission denied, authentication failed!
Auth failed: Device locked!
Drive 'A:' not supported
Cannot initialize 'A:'

Funny thing is, my workstation doubles as a linux box on my lan.
If I boot linux, run "X -query server" and log in, "mdir a:"
works fine with this same setup (/tmp/fd0).

Rick