On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

>Hi, Rob,
>
>Two areas with the sound package I have seen issues with were getting
>the ESD and NASD services running on the LTSP client and making sure the
>sound modules were loading properly on the client.
>
>As you mention, a ps -ax doesn't show ESD or NASD running on the client.
>I checked notes and found that I had a faster processor LTSP client
>(PIII 500) that didn't load these services.  They didn't appear to
>connect during boot script (rc.local calls rc.sound) execution.  The
>solution was to "SLEEP 1" after NASD and ESD startup in
>/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound.

The "sleep 1" trick fixed the client I'm currently playing around with.

>As for getting modules to load, you must enable sound and the necessary
>modules in lts.conf.  I had the benefit of same server and client
>hardware to figure out which modules.  Keep in mind that the order the
>modules are loaded matters.  I used lsmod to determine which modules
>were in use on the server and which ones were and weren't loading on the
>client.  I don't recall if lsmod is available on the client but it is
>easy enough to put it there.
>
>lsmod showed me on an i810-based LTSP client that the sound.o driver
>being loaded by rc.sound was "blocking" the i810 specific driver I had
>put in lts.conf.  I had to disable the sound.o line in rc.sound for
>specific (i810) clients.

Hmm, "SMODULE_01 = es1371" works for my i810 clients. Pre-loading soundcore.o
and sound.o was included in the original ltspsound tarball. I'll look at
testing/fixing that.

BTW, since LTSP v3.0 includes full module dependancy info, I altered the
ltspsound scripts to use modprobe instead of insmod. This allows one to
be lazy and only specify the last module that needs to be loaded ;-)
(and does not break things if you specify every module that needs to be
loaded).

>Unrelated to your problem but of note was that the default sound volume
>is quite high.  I set in rc.sound "aumix-minimal -v65" to prevent the
>clients from coming up too loud.

As far as I know, there's no good way to deal with this besides editing
the default volume by hand. Remote mixer capabilities sure would be nice.

The other major problems I've seen include some programs crashing due
to nasd's LD_PRELOAD (xboard is a consistant example) and DNS woes.
I'm not sure what to do about the LD_PRELOAD problem, writting wrappers
to unset LD_PRELOAD would work but is messy. The DNS problems would
probably be fixed by altering the scripts to use IP address only.

Hey Andrew, are you still working on ltspsound?

-Eric