Recently, there has been some discussion about accessing serial ports in the workstations.  I would appreciate any help or information that you would be willing to share on this topic.

I have been working on this project for several weeks, and I hit a wall.  I cannot figure out how to change the permissions on the serial devices in the /dev directory and make them stick.  I cannot 'su' to or login rsh as root, and I have not been able to find the place in the startup routine where the system creates the devices.  I have found the references to saving and restoring permissions, but I struck out there, too.