alvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said the following on the auspicious date of 02-01-11:

>Has anybody looked into using Xboxes or PlayStations as a LTSP Client. My
>quick queries show that these systems do not support VGA monitors and I
>think that this would be a problem but possibly somebody has a solution
>to that.

The Xbox can output HDTV -- that might be a partial solution to the VGA out problem.
The Playstation 2 can output VGA with sync on green. An adapter for this is provided
in the Linux kit for the system. The Playstation (not 2) probably wouldn't work as a
LTSP client from lack of RAM.

All video game consoles use some proprietary way to boot the console. Without
modifying the hardware, you'll need a specially made disk that you cannot write with a
CD-R or DVD-R drive to boot the system. For instance, the Linux kit for the
Playstation 2 allows the use of custom kernels, but it still has to boot from the
included installation DVD-ROM. There are places that make hardware modifications for
the consoles (maybe not Xbox yet) so that an unlicensed disk can boot the system, but
Sony has recently begun legal action against these companies.

In short, an LTSP client is possible, but it may not be practical. With the
Playstation 2, such a client would have a 40GB (I think) hard drive. But, if you
insist on using the drive for games -- I've heard the drive cannot be shared between
games and Linux -- it could still work out nicely.

Windows -- An entomologist's dream

Jeff Jackowski      http://ro.com/~jeffj/
"Luncheon meats make the sawdust in your stomach
 explode."          -- Crow T. Robot