A huge thanks to _all_ who responded with suggestions.

Okay, I just spotted there has been a _very_ recent
release on rom-o-matic so I thought I'd have a go with
the new driver - the cards are Netgear, so I used the
Tulip driver. It WORKS! The drivers I downloaded 2
weeks ago fail on a Netgear 10/100 switch (but work on
a Netgear 10mb hub), and the new ones just work.

Excellent! I am _so_ pleased :)

Hope that helps anyone else having similar problems.

--
Matt