Chris Watt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Warning. Un-verified speculation ahead.
>
>    I don't actually have any PXE bootable NICs, but if I read correctly then
>I think it should be possible to boot using PXE and Etherboot (as per
>http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/pxe.howto.html) with DHCPD version 2 by
>using multiple host definitions like:
>
>host PXEClient {
>  filename "/eepro100.lzpxe";
>}
>
>host ws137 {
>  hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
>  filename "/lts/vmlinuz-test.nbi";
>}
>
>In theory the PXE stage should use the client identifier "PXEClient" which
>would be matched against the hostname (and use the first block), and the
>etherboot stage would use a different client identifier and drop through to
>match by its MAC address in the second block.

No correct. All PXE clients will send "PXEClient"  string in the DHCP DISCOVER packet
when attempting to find a DHCP server.  The ISC DHCP Server v3.0, not v2.0, will use
the information to determine whether to send  the Etherboot loader ("/eepro100.lzpxe")
or the ltsp kernel ("/lts/vmlinuz-test.nbi")

Consider the following dhcp syntax:

host ws137 {
      hardware ethernet     00:02:B3:25:45:56;
      fixed-address         192.168.2.137;
      if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
          filename "/eepro100.lzpxe";
      } else if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot" {
          filename "/lts/vmlinuz-test.nbi";
          option vendor-encapsulated-options 3c:09:45:74:68:65:72:62:6f:6f:74:ff;
      }
  }

Here is simply what the DHCP server does:

If DHCP Discover packet vendor class ID contains the "PXEClient" string send the
eepro100.lzpxe as the boot file to host with the MAC address 00:02:B3:25:45:56;
otherwise if  vendor class ID string contains "Etherboot" then send
/lts/vmlinuz-test.nbi as the boot file.

The "PXEClient" string is vendor class identifier - not the hostname.  Be careful not
to confuse the two.