On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 14:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 07-Feb-02 Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > As a newcomer here I wonder why floppy support and
> > sound support is not an integral part of the LTSP package.
> > It is some of the first things I am asked when I talk
> > to people about LTSP.
>
> IMHO that depends on which kind of people you are talking to and
> which kind of applications they (have to) work with.
>
> If many users in a network need floppy access, CDrom usage and sound,
> then it might be more efficient to interconnect a number of fully
> equipped (Linux?) PCs in a classical network.
>
> If, on the other hand, all you need is a number of workstations to
> run administrative applications like word processing, spreadsheet,
> bookkeeping and the like, then LTSP is definitely a cost effective
> solution.

I suspect it's just the way LTSP has developed. For example: as sound
becomes recognised as a requirement, a number of people try different
ways until one emerges as 'best', and then the solution besomes part of
the LTSP offering. I wouldn't like to think there's a deliberate policy
of not supporting local workstation peripherals in LTSP. Printers,
sound, floppy disks, Zip drives, CDs, Palm Pilots, Digicams, ... why
not?

Incidentally, the esound package works a dream for me under LTSP 3 - see
the 'Software' page on http://uk.homelinux.net for more info.

John