Marvin,
        ThinkNic company has a cd based linux box that does all that you
require. the cd will boot any intel based box and work basically ok. it
mighttry to blow away your hd. it uses ide connected flash for
non-volatile storage (dial up account settings, bokkmarks, etc.) and it
will try to use the disk for it. you dont't have to buy the box, you can
download iso image from
http://www.thinknic.com/thinknic/about/cdimages.html and play with it. it
is a rather nice unorthodox setup.
        good luck, julius