Matt,

Good thinking! I back that up. I am doing the same at my school.

Given that IceWM doesn't show a menu entry if the user hasn't
got enough rights to the associated application,  I am
_experimenting_ with a specific GID for every app I let them
use, ie. LTopera for Opera, LTacro for Acrobat Reader, etc.

I then chown the app to its specific group and give no rights at
all to members of other groups. When a user needs to be able to
use an application I make him/her a member of the specific group
and automagically (s)he gets to see the menu item.

The overall advantage of this twisted procedure is that I still
have one centralized set of config files for IceWM, instead of
slightly modified versions floating around the server's HD for
each user with personal requests..

But please remember that all of this is still in an experimental
pre-alpha stage. No warranty whatsoever ...   ;-)

Wouter

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 23:38, you wrote:
> Keep people away from xterm or any terminal type login (that's
> how I do it)
>
> I give them nothing but icewm and it only has shortcuts to the
> apps that they need to use if they need more they call me and
> I give them more.
>
> I know that obscurity isn't security but it is a good start.
>
> Matt

[wdb: snip...]