My workstations are no longer displaying the XDM login dialog. They only
have
the grey x-server screen and X cursor. If I init 3 then init 5 the server
the
XDM login comes back but as soon as a user logs out of the workstation the
grey x-server returns but no XDM login dialog.

If I frop the workstation to text mode I have this on the screen

 client 1 rejected from IP 192.168.9.1
AUTH name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

I gather that somehow the Xauthority is stuffed up but how?

TIA's

Pete